Getting pregnant for the first time can be exciting and scary at the same time. And it doesn’t help when well-meaning friends and family members decide it’s their responsibility to share the “wisdom” they’ve collected throughout the years.
While some of that “wisdom” can be useful, I found some of it intrusive and even a few tidbits downright bizarre.
But my favorite pieces of advice were always silly old wives’ tales that for some reason keep popping up in online pregnancy forums and are still shared among friends. So I thought I’d put together a few of my favorites. But let me be clear, NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE!
So put your feet up, relax, and have a little giggle. And if you’ve heard any particularly funny pregnancy myths…please share!!
Funny Pregnancy Myths
- Drink lots of water when you’re pregnant or your baby will come out dirty (hee hee).
- If a baby cries a lot or is often sick, it means he/she doesn’t like his/her name and you should change it.
- If your baby cries a lot, he/she will grow up to be smart (this may have been created just to make us feel better).
- If you have heartburn during pregnancy, your baby will be born with a full head of hair.
- If you resist any food cravings, your baby will look like the food you resisted (nice).
- If you stay mad at someone while pregnant, your baby will resemble that person.
- You’re more likely to go into labor if the weather is stormy or the moon is full.
- You will lose a tooth for every baby (yuck…glad this didn’t hold true for me!).
- You will gain one shoe size for each baby (this was actually partly true for me…I went up a half size total – I had 2 babies).
- If you mix your urine with Drano and it turns bluish brown, you’re having a boy. If it turns greenish brown, you’re having a girl.
- If your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn’t put on a pound, then you’re carrying a boy.
- If people tell you that because your face is round and rosy you are having a girl.
- If you get acne during your pregnancy, you’re having a girl.
Well, all I have to say is that I’m really glad I caved into my pregnancy cravings. Who wants to give birth to a Chic-Fil-A waffle fry!?