Note: Guest blog post by Project Nursery Co-Founders, Melisa Fluhr & Pam Ginocchio
Parents often ask us, “How can I make the biggest impact in my child’s room without spending a ton of money?” Our answer is paint! For the price of two gallons, a little sweat equity and a huge sense of pride, it’s so worth it.
Consider getting a little creative with your next painting project. Painted stripes are making a big splash in the nursery in a big way. So why not pair your favorite Carousel Designs custom crib set with custom wall graphics of your own?
Here are a few tried and true striping tips to ensure that your next painting project goes off without a hitch!
- Paint (2 colors)
- Painters Tape
- Paint Roller
- Mini Paint Roller
- Plastic Tarp
- Credit Card
- Prep your work space. Walls should be primed for a fresh clean start, trim taped, floors and furniture covered with a tarp.
- Paint the wall with one of the stripe colors as your base. Allow to the wall to dry for 24-48 hours.
- Determine the distance between each stripe, measure and mark with a pencil.
- To ensure a straight line for each stripe, use a laser level (or blue chalk line). Mark the line with a dot every 10 inches or so. Carefully run the edge of your painters tape along the dotted guide across the wall. Repeat until all the stripes are complete.
- Burnish the edges of the painters tape with a credit card to ensure the edges of the tape are sealed so that paint does not seep under the tape.
- Using a small paint roller, run a light coat of base paint along the edges of the painters tape. This is to again prevent paint from seeping under the tape and helps ensure a smooth clean line.
- Once dry, fill your stripes with your second color of paint.
- Allow paint to dry for another 24+ hours. Slowly peel back the tape angling away from the fresh paint to reveal your stripped wall!
Nursery #1 by Andrika King Design
Nursery #2 by Melisa Fluhr of Project Nursery